The wishlist name can't be left blank

THE LOWTHER CASTLE EWER. An important Neo Classical style Silver Gilt Ewer. Made in London in 1881 by the Royal Silversmith, Robert Garrard of Panton Street.

SOLD

203800
This magnificent piece stands on a cast circular foot which is decorated with blue bell drops, raying shells and anthemions. The main body has a thick rib around the rim and the upper section is decorated with geometric designs, foliate scrolls and rosettes. The bottom section of the main body is decorated with medallions depicting characters in Renaissance dress, within a wreath frame with a shell above and scale work below. The medallions are interspersed with raised ribbed divisions. The front of the ewer displays a magnificent Satyr mask, with a shell and scroll cartouche below. The substantial scroll handle terminates in a fineley detailed male mask. The Ewer is fully marked on the side of the main body and with R.GARRARD, PANTON STREET, LONDON, on the foot. The cartouche on the front of the Ewer is engraved with a contemporary Armorial, with supporters and an Earls Coronet above, and the Motto Magistratus Indicat Virum below. The Armorial is that of St George Henry, 4th Earl of Lonsdale of Lowther Castle, Cumbria.



The 4th Earl died in 1882 and was succeeded by the eccentric 5th Earl, known as the Yellow Earl. The Yellow Earl had a regiment of yellow liveried servants, a fleet of yellow carriages, a special pack of near yellow dogs and hot houses full of yellow gardenias. The Earl re-decorated the house, added to the gardens and extended the estate, as a setting for lavish entertaining and Royal visits.



Height: 18.25 inches, 45.63cm.

Length: 14 inches, 35cm.

Width: 7.5 inches, 18.75cm.

Weight: 128oz.
Year
1881