The wishlist name can't be left blank

QUEEN ANNE. An exceptionally fine Britannia Standard Tankard made in London in 1707 by Richard Green.

SOLD

310289
This exceptional example stands on a spreading foot and has slightly tapering sides, with an applied horizontal girdle around the lower section of the main body. The stepped, flat top, cover has a double reeded edge and a serpentine shaped front. The plain scroll handle is engraved with the contemporary initials D*K and displays a cast corkscrew thumb piece, decorated with an unusual leaf motif. The front of the main body is engraved with a shield shaped armorial, with Crest above, all surrounded by a cartouche of pluming foliate scrolls, which was a typical design at this date. The Armorial and Crest are those of a branch of the ancient, widespread family of Kemp, specifically for the Kemps of Gissing, County Norfolk, Baronets, created 1642. They are specifically those as used by William Kemp, 3rd Baronet, who succeeded his father, Robert, the 2nd Baronet, in 1710. The Tankard is in quite excellent condition, with a good colour and weight. The main body and cover are fully marked and the handle displays a good makers mark. Richard Green was a fine silversmith who was apprenticed to George Moore in 1691. His first mark was entered in April, 1703, and he had workshops in Foster Lane when this piece was made.



Height, to the top of the thumbpiece: 7.25 inches.

Diameter: 5.1 inches.

Weight: 25oz.
Year
1707