The wishlist name can't be left blank

OSBORNE HOUSE. An extremely fine & rare Castle Top Aide Memoire made in Birmingham in 1852 by Yapp & Woodward.

SOLD

236455
The Aide Memoire is of shaped rectangular form and the cover is exceptionally finely engraved with a detailed view of Osborne House, surrounded by a foliate scroll frame. The reverse is engraved with the same foliate scrolls, around a central cartouche, engraved with a set of contemporary script initials. The red silk and leather interior displays ivory leaves, each engraved with the days of the week. This piece has its original silver pencil, with cairngorm inset into the top, and a suspensory chain with finger ring. This piece is in exceptional condition and is engraved with a very rare scene, which is seldom seen.



Osborne House is a former Royal residence in East Cowes, Isle of Wight. The house was built between 1845 and 1851 for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert as a Summer home and rural retreat. Prince Albert designed the house himself in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzo. The builder was Thomas Cubitt, the London architect and builder whose company built the main facade of Buckingham Palace for the Royal couple in 1847. Queen Victoria died at her beloved Osborne in January, 1901.



Length: 3.5 inches, 8.75cm.

Width: 2 inches, 5cm.
Year
1852