The wishlist name can't be left blank

FROM THE COLLECTION OF T.R.H.s PRINCE HENRY & PRINCESS ALICE, THE DUKE & DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER. A very rare pair of George III Serving Dishes made in Edinburgh in 1773 by Patrick Robertson.

SOLD

373930
The Dishes are of shaped oval form with a raised gadrooned border. The border is engraved on one side with a contemporary Armorial, with Coronet above, and Motto below and on the other side with a contemporary Crest, with the Coronet of an Earl above. The Dishes are in quite excellent condition and are very well marked on the reverse. Serving Dishes are seldom found from Scotland, as very few were made during this period.

The Arms are those of the Royal House Stuart quartering Stuart of Doune and Moray, impaling Gray for Francis, 9th Earl of Moray 1737-1810 and his wife Jean, daughter of the 11th Lord Gray, whom he married in 1763. He sat in the House of Lords as a Scots Representative Peer 1784-96, in the latter year of which, he was created Baron Stuart of Castle Stuart, in the Peerage of Great Britain. He was Lord Lieutenant of Morayshire from 1794, until his death in 1810. His seat was Darnaway Castle, (shown on the image stream), also known as Tarnaway Castle, located in Darnaway Forest, three miles southwest of Forres in Moray, Scotland. This was land given to Thomas Randolph, along with the Earldom of Moray, by King Robert I. The castle has remained the seat of the Earls Moray ever since and retains its old banqueting hall, capable of accommodating 1000 people.

The Dishes were a wedding present to the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, in 1935, from the London Chamber of Commerce and remained in their personal collection at Kensington Palace and Barnwell Manor in Northamptonshire. Images of both of their homes are also attached.

Patrick Robertson was one of the finest silversmiths working in Edinburgh during this period. It is interesting as he fell ill and disappeared from Edinburgh. It would appear that he travelled to Harrogate, North Yorkshire, to take the waters from the health spa, in a last hope of being cured. Sadly, he died shortly after arriving in Harrogate and is buried in Knaresborough Church nearby and a marble tablet was erected in the church to mark the location of his grave.

Length: 12 inches, 30cm.
Width: 8.9 inches, 22.25cm.
Weight: 45oz.