The wishlist name can't be left blank

DUBLIN 1735. The Plunkett Cup - An exceptional George II Loving Cup made in Dublin in 1735 by William Sutton.

SOLD

219438
The Cup stands on a cast and applied spreading foot which is decorated with reeding. The inverted bell shaped body has an everted rim and a cast and applied girdle around the centre of the cup. The cup has two cast Harp shaped scroll handles, of typical Irish design, which are attached to the main body with very unusual angular mouldings. The front of the Cup is engraved with exceptional engraving and shows a contemporary Amorial, with Crest above, surrounded by a finely executed Rococo scroll and brickwork cartouche. The Cup is in excellent condition, is of a good gauge and displays a fine patina. It is very well marked on the side of the main body. The Arms and Crest are those as borne, by that most ancient Irish noble family of Plunkett. These exact arms were borne by the Lords Louth, County Louth and the Earls of Fingall. The work of William Sutton does not appear very often and is of the finest quality. He was Freeman of the Goldsmiths company from 1724-33.



This design of Loving Cup is peculiar to Ireland and it is thought that the two handles allowed the passing of the cup from one person to another as a token of friendship, or for drinking a celebratory toast.



Height: 7.6 inches, 19cm.

Length, handle to handle: 10 inches, 25cm.

Width: 5.75 inches, 14.38cm.

Weight: 29oz
Year
1735