The wishlist name can't be left blank

An important set of early George III Tea Caddies made in London in 1760 by Lewis Herne & Francis Butty.

SOLD

120773
These extremely fine and important early George III Tea Caddies were made in London in 1760 by Lewis Herne and Francis Butty. The three caddies stand on an applied circular foot and display unusual pear shaped bodies rising to a plain neck. The pull off covers have a corded rim and terminate in an unusual cast floral finial. Both the foot, main body and cover are decorated with swirling flutes and are chased with crisp floral and foliate sprays. The front of each Caddy is engraved with a contemporary Armorial surrounded by a scroll and flower head cartouche. The Caddies are fully marked in the foot and with the makers mark and sterling mark on each of the covers. Each Caddy is in excellent crisp condition, as they have been contained within the case since 1760. Work by Lewis Herne and Francis Butty is scarce and is nearly always of the finest quality. The two worked together in Clerkenwell Close from July 1757, until Herne absconded in 1765.



The Caddies are contained within their original silver mounted shagreen case. The interior is divided into three sections and is velvet lined with gold braiding. The case stands on four silver claw and ball feet, has shaped silver hinges and displays a beautiful scroll work lock escutcheon. The leaf capped swan neck handle has a most beautiful pierced scroll plate. The case has its original key and the lock still works.



The Armorial engraved on the Caddies is that of the Lutteley family of Bromscroft, County Salop and County Worcester impaling the Arms of the Wyndham family, as borne by the Earls of Egremont, extinct 1845.



Height of the central Caddy: 6.25 inches

Height of the other two Caddies: 5.9 inches

Total Weight: 33oz.



Height of case: 8.25 inches

Length of case: 12.75 inches

Width of case: 5.45 inches
Year
1760