The wishlist name can't be left blank

An extremely rare & important pair of George IV Butter Tubs made in Dublin in 1830 by Edward Power, Retailed by Edward Twycross.

SOLD

374074
These rare pieces are modelled to simulate a pair of coopered wooden tubs, with raised hexagonal handles, pierced with an arched motif. The front of each piece is engraved with a contemporary double Crest. Both are of an excellent weight and gauge of silver and possess a very good colour. Each tub is fully marked on the base and displays a good assay slither, from when they were originally assayed. We have only seen one other example which we offered in 1997, such are their rarity. Due to their scarcity one is shown in 'Irish Georgian Silver' by Douglas Bennett and the extract is attached. This is the first time we have seen a pair of Tubs and they are thought to be one of the rarest items in Georgian Irish silver of this period. Although, these were used for containing butter, they lend temselves to a variety of uses on the table.

The Crests are those of Bond and McGeough for Walker McGeough-Bond, who took the additional name and arms of Bond by Royal Licence in 1824. He was born in 1790 and was a major landowner in County Armagh, Barrister at law and High Sheriff of the county in 1819. In 1830 he married Anne, second daughter of Ralph Smyth Esq., so we can probably conclude with certainty that they were made to celebrate their wedding. He died in 1866 and his principal seats were Drumsill (now lost) and The Argory, both County Armagh. The Argory is now part of the National Trust for Ireland and an image is shown. A painting of McGeough-Bond, with his son, is shown.

Diameter: 5.1 inches.
Height, to the top of the handle: 3.2 inches.
Weight: 16oz each.