An extremely fine & unusual pair of George IV Butter Shells made inLondon in 1823 by Emes & Barnard.
The main bodies of both pieces are modelled to simulate a large scallop shell and both sit on three winkle feet. These pieces have a most unusual border, on the carrying handle, including Rococo shells, scrolls and acanthus foliage. It is the first time we have seen this design and the reverse is engraved with a Bishop's mitre. The shells are in quite excellent condition and are very well marked on the reverse. It is our opinion that Emes & Barnard made some of the finest Butter Shells at this date. As well as serving butter, their form lends them suitable to serving a variety of things today.
Length: 5.5 inches, 13.75 cm.
Width: 5 inches, 12.5 cm.