The wishlist name can't be left blank

An exceptionally fine George III Teapot & Stand. The Teapot made in London in 1790 by William Stroud and the stand made in London in 1791 by John Hutson.

SOLD

295266
The Teapot is modelled in the shaped oval form and displays an upper and lower band of floral engraving on a scratch engraved ground. The slightly domed cover terminates with an oval ivory and silver finial and is engraved with unusual bands of stylised foliate designs. The front of the teapot is engraved with a contemporary Armorial, surrounded by a cartouche of drapery mantling. The reverse is engraved with a contemporary double Crest, with the Motto Arma Tuentur Pacem - Arms secure peace above. The Teapot displays a straight spout, engraved with foliate designs at the end, and a fruit wood scroll handle. This piece is fully marked on the base and with the sterling mark on the cover.



The Teapot stand displays identical engraved designs, as seen on the main body of the Teapot, and is engraved with the same double Crest. The raised edge displays a bright cut rim and the stand sits on four shaped panel feet. The Stand is very well marked and is in excellent condition. It is most usual to find the stand by a different maker. John Hutson was a specialist tray and salver maker and very often teapot stands are from his workshops.



The Armorial, Double Crest and Motto are those of the Fowke family. Gerald Fowke, the colonist, was the sixth son of Roger Fowke of Brewood Hall and Gunston, in Co. Stafford. The family traces its descent to the Foulques of the House of Anjou in France. This Gerald Fowke, who came over to Virginia in Cromwells time, held the office of Gentleman of the Bedchamber to Charles I., an office hereditary to the family. The founder of the Virginia family settled in Westmoreland County. The Teapot and stand are in excellent crisp condition.



Height: 6 inches, 15cm.

Width: 5.25 inches, 13.13cm.

Length, spout to handle: 11 inches, 27.5cm.

Weight: 22oz.
Year
1790