The wishlist name can't be left blank

An Early George III Cup & Cover made in London in 1763 by Augustin Le Sage.

SOLD

108369
Height
15 cm (5 1/1")
Depth
13 cm (5")
THE FARLEY CASTLE CUP



The Cup stands on a stepped pedestal foot which is decorated with a band of gadrooning, as well as swirl fluting and beading. The slightly baluster main body is also decorated with swirl fluting and bold beading, in addition to scrolls and very unusual horizontal linear waves. The impressively modelled side handles are decorated with leaf capping and foliate scrolls and are attached to the main body with foliate mouldings. The high domed cover terminates in a flame finial, above gadrooned, lobed and beaded designs. The front of the main body is engraved with a contemporary Armorial surrounded by a Rococo cartouche of scrolls, shells and foliate sprays. The cover is engraved with a contemporary Crest with the Motto Sempler Fidelis below. The Arms, Crest and Motto are those of Joseph Houlton Esquire of Farley New Castle and his second wife Pricilla, daughter of Walter White of Grittleton. White was formerly a Colonel in the parliamentary army and governor of Bristol. The cup is fully marked on the main body, and the cover, and is in excellent condition.



Weight: 70 oz



Height
15 cm (5 1/1")
Depth
13 cm (5")
Year
1763
Provenance
The Castle was largely built by Joseph Houlton Esq with stone from the old Medieval Farley Castle, which is now under the supervision of English Heritage, due to the important wall paintings in the Chapel. The Houltons bought the estate in 1702 and Josep
Literature
The work of Augustin Le Sage, who was Huguenot descent is scarce and sought after due to its quality in design and execution. Le sage is represented in numerous museum collections and had workshops in Cockspur Street, London, when this piece was made.